1.0. ABOUT HER INITIATIVE
Her Initiative is an organization that reframes the value of girls and shapes new norms that break the cycle of poverty and create financial resilience among adolescent girls and young women and girls in Tanzania to achieve gender equality and inclusive economic growth. Her Initiative creates a new normal for girls; a world in which girls are not held back from reaching their full potential, either by themselves, their families, their communities, or by their financial status. Her Initiative stands for a girl who has empowered herself enough to address her social-economic problems. Her Initiative aims to reach out to adolescent girls and young women and girls aged between 15 to 35 years. Her Initiative’s team is a resilient group of social change-makers who personally identify with the experiences of the young women and girls we reach and who are tenacious enough to tackle Tanzania’s challenging economy head-on through bold, young women and girls-led initiative. It is young women and girls’ ideas that are at the center of the solutions we provide, ensuring that we don’t waste resources on ideas that don’t reflect the needs.
2.0. BACKGROUND OF THE DIGIMALI PROJECT
Enhancing Digital Skills for Women and Youth Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship Development.
The project is designed to enhance their knowledge in online business, digital business ecosystems, business finance literacy, and business management to drive self-employment opportunities and maximize the target group eligibility to scale up their businesses i.e. for loans and overall access to finance, access to market and compliance.
Today’s youth particularly young women face enormous challenges including unemployment and low-paying jobs. Also, a significant proportion of economic activities is highly informal; thus there is a discrepancy between the demand for skilled jobs and the positions currently available in the labour market.
Additionally, the current lack of financial literacy among Tanzanian youth is a significant barrier to financial inclusion.
Her Initiative draws evidence and facts from previous experiences which reveal that young women lack access to finance and competency in business management which leads to non-compliance with regulations and ineligibility for loans. Thus, Her Initiative saw the need for capacity building to improve the chance of every micro-business to improve efficiency and profitability by tapping the opportunities presented by the digital ecosystem.
Therefore, this project aims to empower micro-businesses run by young entrepreneurs who lack the human capital, business management skills, and financial resources needed to scale up. The project is designed to use a training module for leveraging the power of digitalization driven by smartphone and mobile Internet penetration in Tanzania to accelerate women and youth employment and entrepreneurship while creating smarter and sustainable small businesses.
3.0. SCOPE OF WORK.
HER INITIATIVE is seeking a qualified consultant to undertake the report writing process which involves;
- Reading and understanding the raw data provided to him/her as well as picking the relevant information, turn it into a well-written report that conveys information in a way that is easy to understand and more practical to the end-users of the report.
- Preparing a consultation plan by ensuring prior information dissemination to the beneficiaries and stakeholders informing them of the impacts of the program on Tanzania’s economy
- Engaging with the 100 beneficiaries from the 14 regions who attended the physical and virtual training and mentorship sessions to get an in-depth understanding of how the Digimali project impacted their businesses.
- Facilitating focus group discussion sessions with the Digimali trainers and mentors to obtain their inputs and perspectives on the roles they played when undertaking the project.
- Identifying priority issues of the project and conducting a stakeholders’ analysis.
- Engaging with stakeholders through meetings to develop constructive and productive relationships, which will enable the organization to identify trends and emerging challenges that are currently or in the future impact the growth of businesses in the digital space. These meetings will enable stakeholders as well as beneficiaries of the project to voice their concerns, ask questions and make suggestions that would be beneficial to similar programs that will be undertaken in the future.
- Incorporating feedback and sharing results of the consultation meetings and focus group discussions.
- Preparing an extensive report that elaborates the progress of the Digimali project in the past three months.
- Completing the report with reasonable skill, care, and diligence following the contract.
- Submitting the first draft, to be reviewed by the organization before the final draft.
4.0. TIME FRAME AND DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The task will take a total of two weeks and will include the following:
Conducting desk research and analysing all necessary documents/training modules and materials.
Conducting a literature review on the role that digital entrepreneurship plays in Tanzania’s economy, Participation of youth entrepreneurs especially young women in digital entrepreneurship, and how the development of policies that will encourage digital entrepreneurship will help bridge the unemployment gap and reduce low earning potential as well as encourage financial inclusion to young women.
Writing a report that informs the stakeholders on the progress of the program, challenges and limitations encountered when undertaking the project as well as provide recommendations that will enhance and help young entrepreneurs on how to effectively use digital products to scale up their businesses
Compiling all progress reports of the physical and virtual training
Consultation and facilitation of meeting with key stakeholders
Writing, consolidating, and issuing the first draft for the organization to review.
Prepare, facilitate and moderate a validation meeting for stakeholders to review the progress of the report.
Submitting the final report to the organization.
The work will start from the 10th of January to the 24th of January 2022.
- A first draft of the report which will be a compilation of the Digimali project activities.
- A well written, precise, result-focused, and straightforward report which should include stakeholders’ feedback
- Plan and facilitate a stakeholders’ consultation meeting.
Reasonable rates will be provided
7.0. MODE OF PAYMENT
The consultant will be entitled to 50% of the total consultancy fee upon signing of the contract and 50% upon delivery and acceptance of deliverables within the specified period.
8.0. QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
The selected consultant must have the following basic educational and professional experience: (Minimum requirements):
- LEVEL OF EDUCATION: Bachelor degree in marketing, mass communication, public relations, business administration, business management, or any related field,
- She/he should have a minimum of three years experience of working in business administration, financial literacy.
- At least 3 years experience and knowledge of Business Development.
- Experience in report writing will be an added advantage.
- Fluent in both written and spoken Swahili and English language
Experienced working with entrepreneurs is an added advantage.
Demonstrates integrity by modeling the professionalism, values, and ethical standards
Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the project
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Treats all people fairly and without favoritism.
Interested Persons/company will be required to submit the following details to the address below:
- Letter of Expression with relevant evidence to have conducted the same nature of the assignment
- Consultation invoice
- Updated Curriculum vitae.
P.O. Box 77585,
Dar es Salaam.
The applications can also be sent via email firstname.lastname@example.org, copied to email@example.com, and/ or present the document physically at Her Initiative offices located at Ubungo, Rubada building.
The applications should reach the organization no later than 07th January 2022.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.